불교영어

2019년 국제포교사회 자타카 암송대회 영문 자료 및 녹음 파일 3-왕의 흰 코끼리

페이지 정보

작성자최고관리자 작성일18-12-07 17:31 조회2,673회 댓글0건

첨부파일

본문

2019년 1월, 국제포교사회 주관으로 있을 자타카 암송대회 초등학교 1~4학년용 대본 및 녹음 파일 입니다. 법회에 이용해 보시길 바라는 마음에 올립니다.

Reward

(보답)

The King's White Elephant

왕의 흰 코끼리

Once upon a time, a number of carpenters lived on a river bank near a large forest. Every day the carpenters went in boats to the forest to cut down the trees and make them into lumber.

옛날에 큰 숲 근처 강가에 많은 목수들이 살고 있었습니다. 매일 목수들은 배를 타고 숲으로 가 나무를 베어, 목재를 만들었습니다.

One day while they were at work, an elephant came to them limping on three feet. He held up one foot and the carpenters saw that it was swollen and sore. Then the elephant lay down and the men saw that there was a great splinter in the sore foot. They pulled it out and washed the sore carefully so that it would be well again in a short time.

그러던 어느 날, 목수들이 일하고 있을 때, 코끼리 한 마리가 세 다리로 절면서 그들에게 다가왔습니다. 코끼리는 발 하나를 들고 있었는데, 그 발이 붓고, 상처가 나 있었습니다. 코끼리가 드러눕고 목수들이 보니 상처 난 발에는 큰 가시가 있었습니다. 목수들은 가시를 뽑아내고 상처를 조심스레 잘 닦아주었고 그래서 코끼리는 다시 곧 건강해졌습니다.

Thankful for the cure, the elephant thought, 'These carpenters have done so much for me, I must be useful to them.' So after that the elephant used to pull up trees for the carpenters. Sometimes when the trees were chopped down he would roll the logs down to the river.

Other times he brought their tools for them. And the carpenters used to feed him well morning, noon and night.

치료에 감사하며 코끼리는 이 목수들이 내게 많은 것을 해 주었으니, 나도 그들에게 도움이 되어야 해라고 생각했습니다. 그래서 그 후 코끼리는 목수들을 위해서 나무를 뽑아주곤 했습니다. 때때로 나무가 베어 넘어지면 강가까지 통나무를 굴려가곤 했지요. 또 다른 때는 목수들을 위해 연장을 날라다 주기도 했습니다. 그러면 목수들은 아침, 점심, 저녁으로 코끼리를 잘 먹여주었습니다.

Now this elephant had a son who was white all over - a beautiful, strong young one. The old elephant said to himself, "I will take my son to the place in the forest where I go to work each day so that he may learn to help the carpenters, for I am no longer young and strong."

이제 이 코끼리에게는 몸 전체가 하얀 아들 코끼리가 있었는데, 멋지고 힘이 센 어린 코끼리였습니다. 늙은 아비 코끼리는 혼잣말을 했어요, “이제 아들이 목수들을 돕도록 내가 매일 일하러 가는 숲 속으로 데려가야겠어. 나는 더 이상 젊지도 힘세지도 않으니까.”

So the old elephant told his son how the carpenters had taken good care of him when he was badly hurt, and took the white elephant to them. The white elephant did as his father told him to do and helped the carpenters and they fed him well. When the work was done at night the young white elephant went to play in the river. The carpenters' children played with him, in the water and on the bank. He liked to pick them up in his trunk and set them on the high branches of the trees and then let them climb down on his back.

그래서 늙은 아빠 코끼리는 그가 심하게 다쳤을 때, 목수들이 어떻게 그를 돌봐주었는지 아들 코끼리에게 말했고, 하얀 아들 코끼리를 목수들에게 데려갔습니다. 하얀 코끼리는 아빠 코끼리가 시키는 대로 일을 했고 목수들을 도왔습니다. 목수들도 그를 잘 먹여주었지요. 밤에 일이 끝나면 하얀 코끼리는 강으로 놀러 갔습니다. 목수의 아이들이 강물과 강둑에서 그와 함께 놀았지요. 하얀 코끼리는 그의 코로 아이들을 들어서 높은 나뭇가지에 올려주는 걸 좋아했습니다. 그리고는 아이들이 그의 등을 타고 내려오도록 해주었지요.

One day the king came down the river and saw this beautiful white elephant working for the carpenters. At once the king wanted the elephant for his own and paid the carpenters a great price for him. Then with a last look at his playmates, the children, the beautiful white elephant went on with the king.

어느 날 왕이 강을 내려오다, 아름다운 하얀 코끼리가 목수들을 위해 일하는 것을 보았습니다. 곧 바로 왕은 그 하얀 코끼리를 갖고 싶어 했고 그 대가로 목수들에게 많은 가격을 지불했습니다. 그러고 나자 아름다운 하얀 코끼리는 그의 놀이친구들인 아이들을 마지막으로 쳐다보고는 왕과 함께 떠나갔습니다.

The king was proud of his new elephant and took the best care of him as long as he lived.

왕은 새로운 코끼리를 아주 자랑스러워했고, 코끼리가 살아 있는 동안 지극히 잘 보살펴 주었습니다.

댓글
주제와 무관한 댓글, 악플은 삭제될 수 있습니다.

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.