불교영어

2019년 국제포교사회 자타카 암송대회 영문 자료 및 녹음 파일 4-거대한 황금덩어리

페이지 정보

작성자최고관리자 작성일18-12-07 17:37 조회2,659회 댓글0건

첨부파일

본문

2019년 1월, 국제포교사회 주관으로 있을 자타카 암송대회 초등학교 1~4학년용 대본 및 녹음 파일 입니다. 법회에 이용해 보시길 바라는 마음에 올립니다.

Moderation

(절제)

A Huge Lump of Gold

거대한 황금덩어리

Once upon a time, there was a rich village. The wealthiest of the villagers decided to hide a huge lump of gold to protect it from bandits and robbers. So he buried it in a nearby rice field.

옛날에 부유한 마을이 있었습니다. 그 마을 사람 중에 가장 부유한 사람이 도적이나 강도로부터 큰 금덩어리를 지키기 위해 그것을 숨기기로 작정했습니다. 그래서 그는 큰 금덩이를 근처의 논에 묻었습니다.

Many years had passed, and the village was no longer rich, and the rice field was abandoned and unused. And the rich villager himself forgot the fact that he had buried gold in a rice field. He died without saying anything about the gold.

오랜 세월이 지나고 그 마을은 이제 더 이상 부유하지 않았고, 논도 버려지고 사용하지 않게 되었습니다. 가장 부유했던 마을사람 조차 그가 논에 황금을 묻었다는 사실을 잊어버렸습니다. 그는 금에 대해 어떤 말도 남기지 않고 죽었습니다.

A poor farmer who lived in the village decided to plow the field. After some time plowing, it just so happened that his plow struck the long-forgotten buried treasure.

그 마을에 살던 한 가난한 농부가 그 논을 경작하기로 마음먹었습니다. 쟁기질을 하고 얼마 후, 그의 쟁기가 오랫동안 잊혀졌던 매장된 보물을 치게 되었습니다.

At first he thought it must be a very hard tree root. But when he uncovered it, he saw that it was beautiful shining gold. Since it was daytime he was afraid to try and take it with him. So he covered it up again and waited for nightfall.

처음에 농부는 그것이 아주 단단한 나무뿌리일 거라고 생각했습니다. 그러나 파내어보니 그것은 아름답게 빛나는 황금임을 알게 되었습니다. 그 때가 낮 시간이었기 때문에, 농부는 그것을 가지고 가려는 것이 걱정되었습니다. 그래서 금덩이를 다시 덮고 밤이 오기를 기다렸습니다.

The poor farmer returned in the middle of the night. Again he uncovered the golden treasure. He tried to lift it, but it was far too heavy. He tied ropes around it and tried to drag it. But it was so huge that he couldn't budge it an inch. He became frustrated and thought, 'I am lucky to find a treasure, and unlucky not to be able to take it with me.' He even tried kicking the huge lump of gold. But again it wouldn't budge an inch!

가난한 농부는 한 밤중에 다시 돌아왔습니다. 다시 그는 황금보물을 파내고 들어 올리려고 하였으나 금덩이는 너무도 무거웠습니다. 그는 금덩이 둘레를 끈으로 묶어 끌고 가려고 하였으나 금덩이가 너무도 거대해서 그가 단 일 인치도 움직일 수 없었습니다. 그는 절망하여 생각했습니다, “내가 운이 좋아 보물은 발견했는데, 그 보물을 가져갈 수 없다니 운이 나쁘구나.” 그는 심지어 큰 금덩이를 차보기도 했지만 금덩이는 조금도 움직이려 하지 않았습니다.

Then he sat down and began to consider the situation. At that moment a famous proverb struck him: Don't bite off more than you can chew. 'Aha! This is the way. I will break the lump of gold into smaller pieces! Then I can easily carry them home.‘

그러자 그는 주저앉아 상황을 생각해 보기 시작했습니다. 바로 그 순간 유명한 속담이 그에게 떠올랐습니다: 네가 먹을 수 있는 것보다 많이 베어 물지 말라. ‘! 바로 이 방법이야. 금덩이를 작은 조각으로 부수면 되겠군! 그러면 내가 쉽게 집으로 가져갈 수 있잖아.’

So he decided the only thing to do was to break the lump of gold into four smaller lumps. Then he could carry home one piece at a time.

그래서 해야 할 유일한 일은 금덩이를 작은 네 개의 덩어리로 부수는 것이라고 결정했습니다. 그러면 그가 한 번에 한 조각씩 쉽게 집으로 가져갈 수 있으니까요.

He thought, 'One lump I will use for ordinary day-to-day living. The second lump I will save for a rainy day. The third lump I will invest in my farming business. And I will gain merit with the fourth lump by giving it to the poor and needy and for other good works.'

그는 생각했습니다, ‘첫 번째 금덩이는 일상 생계를 위해 써야겠어. 둘째 금덩이는 형편이 힘들 경우를 위해 저축해 놓아야겠고. 세 번째 금덩이는 내 농사 사업을 위해 투자해 놔야지. 그리고 마지막 금덩이는 가난하고 궁핍한 사람들에게 나눠주고 다른 좋은 일을 위해 써서 공덕을 지어야겠어.’

With a calm mind he divided the huge lump of gold into these four smaller lumps. Then it was easy to carry them home on four separate trips.

차분한 마음으로 그는 커다란 금덩이를 네 개의 작은 덩어리로 나누었습니다. 그러자, 네 번에 걸쳐 금덩이를 집으로 나르는 일은 아주 쉬웠지요.

Afterwards he lived happily.

그 후로도 그는 행복하게 살았답니다.

댓글
주제와 무관한 댓글, 악플은 삭제될 수 있습니다.

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.