불교영어

2019년 국제포교사회 자타카 암송대회 영문 자료 및 녹음 파일 5-계획이 있는 왕자

페이지 정보

작성자최고관리자 작성일18-12-17 14:31 조회2,643회 댓글0건

본문

2019년 1월, 국제포교사회 주관으로  자타카 암송대회를 할 초등학교 5~중학교 3학년용 대본 및 녹음 파일 입니다. 법회에 이용해 보시길 바라는 마음에 올립니다.

Power of Superstition

(미신의 힘)

The Prince Who Had a Plan

계획이 있는 왕자

Once upon a time, King Brahmadatta was ruling in Benares, in northern India. The

Enlightening Being was born as his son, the prince. Being quite intelligent, he completed his entire education by the age of 16.  

옛날 옛적에 브라흐마닷타왕이 북인도 베나레스를 다스리고 있었습니다. <깨달음으로 가는 존재>는 그의 아들, 즉 왕자로 태어났습니다. 그는 매우 영리하여 16세에 모든 교육을 다 마쳤습니다.

In those days, most people in Benares worshipped gods. They were so superstitious that they believed by sacrificing many animals, then gods would answer to their prayers. The prince saw all this and thought, ‘The people commit these unwholesome acts due to ignorance and superstition. This cannot be true religion.’

그 당시 베나레스에 있는 대부분의 사람들은 신을 숭배했습니다. 그들은 미신을 믿어서 많은 동물을 희생하면 그들의 신이 응답을 한다고 믿었습니다. 왕자는 이모든 것을 보고 모든 사람들이 무지하고 미신을 믿어 이런 부질없는 짓을 하는구나. 이것은 진짜 종교가 아니다.’ 라고 생각 했습니다.

So, the prince devised a clever long term plan and went to a popular banyan tree just outside the city, where the people prayed and made offerings to a god. The prince made the same offerings as the others - incense, flowers, perfumes, and water - but not animal sacrifices.

그래서 그 왕자는 아주 영리하게 장기 계획을 세우고, 사람들이 기도하고 신에게 공양을 하는 도시외곽에 있는 유명한 반얀 나무로 갔습니다. 왕자는 동물은 희생시키는 대신 향, , 향수, 물 같은 공양물을 올렸습니다.

In this way he made a great show, and the news spread about his offerings. Pretty soon, all the people thought he was a true believer in the great god of the banyan tree.

이런 방식으로 그는 대단한 구경거리를 만들었고, 이 소식은 삽시간에 퍼졌습니다. 곧 사람들은 이 왕자가 반얀나무의 위대한 신을 믿는 진정한 숭배자라고 생각하였습니다.

In due time, King Brahmadatta died and his son became a righteous king. One day, he called all the leading citizens of Benares to the royal assembly hall.

때가 되어, 왕이 돌아가시고 아들은 정의로운 왕이 되었습니다. 어느 날

그는 베나레스의 지도자들을 전부 왕궁 회의실로 불렀습니다.

He said, "Do you remember that I often gave wonderful sweet offerings to the great god of the banyan tree? At each of those times, I made a promise to the powerful god of the tree. I prayed, 'If you make me King of Benares, I will offer a special sacrifice to you, far greater than flowers and perfumes.' Since I am now the king, you all can see for yourselves that the god has answered my prayers. So now I must keep my promise and offer the special sacrifice.“

그대들은 가끔 내가 반얀나무의 위대한 신께 멋진 공양물을 올린 걸 기억하는가? 그때마다 나는 그 나무의 강력한 신께 약속을 했다. 나는 신께서 나를 왕으로 만들어준다면 나는 꽃이나 향수보다는 더 특별한 공양물을 올릴 것입니다라고 기도했다. 내가 지금 왕이 되었으므로, 당신들은 신이 내 기도에 응답한 것을 볼 수 있을 것이다. 그래서 나는 지금 약속을 지키고 특별한 제물을 받쳐야하느니라

All those in the assembly hall agreed. They said, "We must prepare this sacrifice at once. What animals do you wish to kill?“

회의실에 있던 모든 사람들이 찬성하고 말했습니다. ”우리는 곧 제물을 준비해야합니다. 어떤 동물을 죽이기를 원하십니까?“

The king said, "I promised the great god of the banyan tree that I would sacrifice anyone who fails to practice the Five Training Steps. That is, anyone who destroys life, takes what is not given, does wrong in sexual ways, speaks falsely, and loses his mind from alcohol.“

왕이 말했습니다.” 나는 반얀나무의 위대한 신께 약속하기를 5개의 수행단계를 행하지 않는 사람들을 희생시킬 것이요. 그것은 사람을 죽이는 자, 남의 것을 훔치는 자, (배우자 외에) 다른 사람을 사랑하는 자, 거짓말 하는 자, 술에 취해 마음을 놓치는 자이다.“

Being so superstitious, all those in the hall agreed that this must be done, or the god would surely punish the king and kingdom.

회의장에 있던 모든 사람들은 너무 미신적이라, 왕이 말한 대로 해야만 한다고 생각하고, 그렇지 않으면 왕과 왕국에 신이 큰 벌을 내릴 것으로 의견을 모았습니다.

The king thought, 'They cannot see that, since the first training step is to give up killing, if I sacrificed one of my subjects, I would be next on the altar! And such is the power of superstition that I could make such a promise, and never have to carry it out!‘

왕은 생각했습니다.

첫 번째 수행단계가 살생을 하지 않는 것이다. 만약 내가 신하 중에 한사람을 제물로 바친다면, 다음번에는 내가 제단에 오르게 된다는 것을 신하들은 알지를 못하는 구나. 그러나 내가 그런 약속을 할 수 있고 , 절대로 실행해서는 안 되는 그런 것이 미신의 힘이구나.

So, with full confidence in the power of superstition, the king said to the leading citizens, "Go into all the kingdom and announce the promise I made to the god. Then proclaim that the first one-thousand who break any of the training steps will have the honor of being sacrificed, to keep the king's promise.“

미신의 힘에 완전한 확신을 가지고, 왕이 지도자들에게 말했다.”모든 왕국에 가서 내가 신께 한 약속을 알려라. 수행단계의 어느 것이라도 어기는 첫 1000명에게 왕의 약속을 지키기 위해 제물이 되는 영예를 얻을 것이다.“

Lo and behold, the people of Benares became famous for carefully practicing the Five Training Steps. And the good king, who knew his subjects so well, sacrificed no one.

놀랍게도 베나레스의 백성들은 오계를 잘 지키는 것으로 유명해졌습니다. 그리고 신하들을 잘 아는 훌륭한 왕은 아무도 제물로 바치지 않았습니다.

댓글
주제와 무관한 댓글, 악플은 삭제될 수 있습니다.

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.